A hearty bowl of apple millet porridge makes a great breakfast. Millet is cooked with milk, apples and cinnamon until it’s perfectly creamy and aromatic.
This porridge with millet is an alternative to your classic oatmeal. Millet is a starchy grain that cooks into a perfect porridge and it’s gluten free. I like to add an apple and cinnamon ti give it more flavor.
You can make this apple millet porridge with apple sauce instead of a chopped apple or even with pears. You can also experiment with milk varieties. I find that plant based milk is just as good as whole milk.
More breakfast recipes to explore
- Granola pancakes with blueberries (A great way to add more fiber to pancakes, these are so delicious.)
- Simple oatmeal pancakes with bananas (Really hearty and quick to make in a blender.)
- Oatmeal apple smoothie (A thick smoothie that can be enjoyed warm.)
- Easy pizza beans toast (Tomato cooked beans with cheese, baked on toast in the oven.)
- Golden spinach muffins with cheddar (Savory muffins make a great breakfast on the go.)
Apple millet porridge
- 1 cup (150 g) millet
- 3 cups (720 ml) milk, dairy and plant milk both work
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 medium apple, cored and chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons honey, or maple syrup
- Rinse millet in a sieve. Then transfer it to a medium pot and add milk and salt.
- Bring the mix to a boil over medium-high heat, then lower the heat to medium and cook millet, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped apple, honey and cinnamon and cook for another 5 minutes until millet expands and is tender enough to eat. Add more milk if needed to make the porridge creamier.
- Serve warm and sprinkle with more cinnamon and some chopped nuts if desired.