Spoil yourself and your friends with Cinnamon orange sugar scrub this winter!
Or maybe not?
Not that December needs to be all about gifts, because it shouldn’t be, but I admit that I have been buying some things and wrecking my brain, worrying if I’ll get everything in time. Between my birthday next week, Christmas and Rok’s birthday at the end of the month, December is never very easy for us.
The downside of buying birthday gifts in December is that everyone is buying something too and I have to work harder than usual to find what I’m looking for and then hope it’s in stock and ships in time. I don’t even want to begin talking about the crowds in stores or at the post office.
Buuut, after the crowds and being busy and all over the place comes joy. The joy of giving someone something you know will make them smile, something they’ll find useful or fun. I love that feeling.
And when thinking about gifts, I wanted to share a quick DIY with all of you. I will always be a firm believer in handmade gifts, I think they’re special and always a good option. Whether you want to make a dozen small gifts for coworkers or sisters, or if you want to make just one or two, even for yourself (because yes, you really should get something for yourself too!), I got you covered.
Speaking of “gifts for self” I ordered myself some skincare items. My skin hasn’t been handling the cold dry air very well and I need to up my moisturizer game with extra creams. The other thing I love is a good body scrub, just like this DIY cinnamon orange body scrub.
The base of this body scrub is coconut oil, my all time favorite, because it’s nourishing and smells amazing. The oil is mixed with sugar, and to this I add both orange zest and orange essential oil. Ground cinnamon is the last touch.
Know that how much cinnamon you add defines the end color of the body scrub. I made two scrubs, so you can see the difference. One with less cinnamon which is lighter in color and one with extra cinnamon, which makes it darker and slightly more aromatic.
Overall, this cinnamon orange sugar scrub smells amazing, but is still pretty mild, especially compared to some store-bought products.
I love to pack my body scrubs into small Weck jars (you can buy a Weck tall mode jar set here), which are a big favorite of mine. You can also use even smaller jars, these festive quilted ball jars are half the size and really pretty.
Cinnamon orange sugar scrub
An easy to make nourishing orange sugar scrub with coconut oil. Makes a great gift.
Recipe makes 2 small jars of sugar scrub.
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: 2 jars
- Category: DIY, Beauty
- 145g (1/2 cup + 2 TBSPs) coconut oil
- 440g (2 cups) granulated sugar
- 6 drops orange essential oil
- zest of one orange (optional)
- 1/2-2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 small glass jars (200ml or 9.8 fl oz each)
- white felt
- gift labels or white paper, cut into desired shape
- Combine sugar and coconut oil in a small bowl. Mix with a spatula until well combined and the mixture resembles a paste.
- Add essential oil, orange zest and as much of ground cinnamon as you wish (to get the color you want).
- Split into two jars (or use just one big jar if you wish) and cover with lids.
- To wrap, cut two felt circles, each twice as big as the size of a lid. Place them on top of each jar, tie a ribbon around along with a tag.
- Keep in a cool dark place until you are ready to give this as a gift. If you’re making this for yourself, you can easily keep the scrub at room temperature in the bathroom. It’ll keep for at least a month and up to a few months.