Bring sunshine into your life with this cauliflower millet soup!
My cravings do really change with the weather or as much as the weather. It’s not that I didn’t already know this about myself, but it’s really clear now, with this cauliflower millet soup. I made this on a moody Sunday when it was both sunny, dark and windy out, the sky changing all damn afternoon and I kept waiting for the rain that never came. And what I wanted for lunch was something refreshing, but also comforting.
I’ve been loving spring so much all I want to do is toss salads together, but I should do more than just that. I stayed away from cauliflower for a while, because I see it as a winter vegetable and only that, which makes no sense. It’s a great vegetable, very versatile, so why not make use of it in other seasons?
Cauliflower and the wonderful millet are the comforting components in this soup, they’re hearty and cozy, perfect for the gloomy weather. They really come to life once the lemon is added, which I’ve been obsessed with lately. I have been putting lemon on anything / in everything I can, apart from stuff like coffee. I haven’t tried it that yet. And it is a thing, in case you’re curious.
This soup is homey, charming in its simplicity and easy to put together. You cook the cauliflower together with the millet and carrots, finish it with a creamy lemon mixture and that’s it. It’s perfect for those days when you want a little something more than just soup.
Cauliflower millet soup with lemon
When you want a soup that is a little more than just soup. Hearty and refreshing, it is made quickly.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Slovenian
- 1/2 medium cauliflower ( about 400g or 14 oz), stems cut off, chopped into florets
- 1 carrot (about 60–70g or 2–2.5 oz), sliced into thin disks
- 100g (1/2 cup or 3.5 oz) millet
- 1l (1 quart or roughly 4 cups) vegetable stock
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) whipping cream
- 1 egg yolk
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped parsley for garnish
- In a large pot bring stock to a boil and add millet. Cook for 5 minutes, partly covered with a lid, then add the cauliflower. Cook for another 5 minutes then add the carrot and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the cauliflower and carrots are tender and millet cooked. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolk, cream, lemon juice and nutmeg in a small bowl. Pour into the soup, once it’s cooked. Whisk until incorporated.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately topped with chopped parsley.
You can add less cream and substitute it with another egg yolk. Or you can skip the cream mixture completely and just have a simple VEGAN veggie millet soup instead, whichever you prefer. But I personally think the cream mixture makes this soup really wonderful and it isn’t heavy at all. If you don’t have vegetable stock, simply use water instead. This recipe is adapted from a Slovenian cookbook called Kuhinja Slovenije, which means Cuisine of Slovenia. It was published in 2000 and hasn’t been translated into English as far as I know.