You know how I mentioned Scandal last week? Well, I didn’t realize they came back that same week! The very last season of Scandal. Wow. You know I haven’t watched it just yet and I don’t know whether to watch along as they come out or if I should wait till the very end and then binge-watch the whole season. The show’s pretty intense, so I might just wait. In any case, you know I’ll keep you posted.
Show-watching is kind of what Fall is about, isn’t it? Everyone comes back after that long break and if I didn’t know what to watch during the summer, I feel overwhelmed now.
Another thing that’s totally Fall are apples (duhhh). And pears. And pumpkin spice which I know so many of you love… but I have to say that Slovenia is kind of a pumpkin-spice free zone, so I’ve been ignoring it too. But let’s back up to pears. Apples get all the shine, as they should because apple pie and strudel are amazing, but you know I love my pears too.
And what’s the first thing I made with pears? These pear pancakes with yogurt and honey. I feel like I’m so transparent you’ve probably guess that already. Although I’ve had this recipe posted on the blog since forever, I thought it needed some new photos and so here we are. I mean, I would’ve made the pancakes regardless, but I know you guys won’t mind some updating.
Now, let’s talk about these pancakes because they are delicious. My mom always made us pancakes with grated apples, so these pear pancakes with yogurt and honey are my take on her recipe. I think both apple and pear pancakes are equally delicious, but I tend to prefer pear ones these days. For no special reason, simply because I need something that’s not made with apples. Because apples are fun, but I don’t want to eat apple desserts 24/7, you know?
And I think you’ll love these too. If you want pancakes with a kick, a little extra oomph, then these are for you. They are fluffy, moist and packed with cinnamon so they smell absolutely amazing. I top them with the best of the best – thick and creamy Greek yogurt, honey and a spoonful of my plum quick jam. And of course some hazelnuts and extra pears to make this pancake stack extra beautiful.
My favorite time to make and enjoy these pear pancakes with yogurt and honey is the weekend, when I sleep in and then have these for brunch. Yum!
Recipe makes 7-8 pancakes, enough to serve two people comfortably.
- 170g (1 1/4 cups) all-purpose flour
- 30g (2 tablespoons) white granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (depending on your taste)
- 240ml (1 cup) milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 pear (about 185g | 6.5 oz), coarsely grated
- sunflower oil / cooking spray / butter for greasing the pan
- Greek yogurt
- plum jam
- sliced pear
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; set aside. In a medium bowl whisk together milk and egg. Gently whisk in dry ingredients, then fold in the shredded pear.
- Spray or brush a large non-stick pan with oil and heat over medium heat. Pour about 1/3 cup batter in the pan and cook for a few minutes, until the surface of the pancake is bubbly and a few bubbles have burst. Flip carefully with a thin spatula and cook for another two minutes or so (once you lift the pancake, it should be golden brown).
- Transfer pancake to a platter or baking sheet and loosely cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. Continue with the rest of the batter, add more oil to the pan if needed.
- Serve pancakes with a dollop of Greek yogurt, some honey and plum jam (optional).
If you like spicier pancakes, add a dash of ground nutmeg or allspice to the batter.
Recipe first published here in September 2014; revised and republished with new photographs in October 2017.