Rose water pistachio shortbread cookies
Easy to make, tender, fragrant and melt-in-your mouth cookies! Packed with pistachios and a touch of rose water to make them super special.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 10 cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Scottish
- 1 stick (4oz | 115g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup (50g) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- 1/2 cup (70g) unsalted shelled pistachios, finely chopped
- 1 cup (5oz | 140g) all-purpose flour
- Cream butter and sugar in a medium bowl (or bowl of your stand mixer). Keep beating until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Whisk in the egg, salt and rose water. Then toss in the pistachios and beat until incorporated. Lastly, stir in the flour and beat just until no spots of flour are left.
- Place dough on a piece of plastic wrap and roll it into a log. (It’ll be soft, so you can chill it in the fridge and roll it again 30 minutes later.) Wrap the log in aluminum foil (double it for extra support) and chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or up to 3 days.
- When you are ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven 350° F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Unwrap the cookie log. Using a sharp knife, slice log into cookies, about 1/2 inch (1-cm) thick. Place cookies on the baking sheet, leaving about 1-inch (2.5-cm) space between them.
- Bake cookies for 10-15 minutes, until they’re golden brown and set (their tops should be dry, not wet, but paler in color than the edges). Bigger thicker cookies need about 15 minutes, while smaller (or thinner) cookies need 10-12 minutes.
- Remove cookies from the oven and let cool. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Cookie dough taken straight from the refrigerator is pretty hard. If you have trouble slicing your cookies, let the dough rest at room temperature for 15 minutes, then try slicing again.
- If sliced cookies aren’t perfectly shaped and that bothers you, you can quickly reshape them by pressing around the sides while they are still hot from the oven.
- This recipe makes 10-12 large cookies or it can make about 16-20 smaller ones. All depends on how thick your log of dough is.
- Both the unbaked cookie log (or sliced cookies) and baked cookies can be frozen (wrapped well) for up to 1 month.
- For extra crunch, you can roll the log of dough in some granulated sugar before slicing.
Keywords: small batch cookies, pistachio shortbread cookies, rose water cookies