Lemon ricotta zucchini pasta
A surprisingly light and flavor-packed pasta, done in 30 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 30 min
- Yield: 2 - 3 1x
- Category: Main course
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound (500g) zucchini, ends trimmed and sliced thinly
- 9 oz (250g) pasta of choice (like rigatoni, penne, fusilli, etc.)
- 1 heaping cup (250g) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup (30g) grated Parmesan cheese
- zest from 1 small lemon (skip if you don’t like this)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, more to taste
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Parmesan cheese
- fresh basil leaves
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add shallots and cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add garlic, stir and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring often, until zucchini is soft. If it’s sticking lower the heat and add a few tablespoons of water. When cooked remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Toss in the pasta and cook for 10-15 minutes (follow your package directions). Reserve 2 cups of pasta water for later and drain the pasta. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta, Parmesan, lemon zest and juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper. Pour over some of the pasta water, about 2/3 cup, and stir to combine. Keep adding pasta water until you have a creamy sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Add pasta to the sauce and stir to coat. Fold ricotta-covered pasta into your zucchini. Keep stirring until it’s evenly mixed.
- Serve with extra Parmesan on top (optional) and fresh basil. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to a day.
Keywords: quick dinner, easy summer recipe