For a special treat for your pet, try these homemade chicken treats. They use a handful of ingredients and come together in no time at all.
This is a simple recipe and you don’t have to be a skilled baker to do this. If you have more chicken breast on hand as you make this, my advice is to cook it all and then give the extra chicken (that you don’t need for the treats) to your cat (or dog). From my experience, cats love cooked shredded chicken, mixed with water the chicken was cooking in.
This recipe is based on the recipe in Dr. Pitcairn’s Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats, a fun book to have if you are interested in dog and cat care. Of course having regular veterinary care for your pets is just as important.
Homemade chicken treats for cats and dogs
- 1 1/2 cups (140 g) cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) chicken stock
- 1 cup (100 g) whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup (50 g) polenta , or cornmeal
- Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F). Cover a baking sheet with baking paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine shredded chicken with oil and stock. For a finer texture, you can blend the chicken with stock prior to adding oil.
- Add flour and polenta and mix until it's all combined and resembles a dough. Flour your work surface and roll out the dough to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick (about 0.5-1 cm thick).
- Cut out your treats in any desired shape and place them on the baking sheet. They can be placed close together, as they won't get bigger during baking. Bake for 20 minutes in the center of the oven. Let them cool for about 10-15 minutes before serving.