Both healthy and a little indulgent, this chocolate chip creamy pear oatmeal is the perfect breakfast!
Few things I’m thinking about on this November Friday:
1) There are exactly 3 WEEKS left to the Gilmore girls revival. They smell snow, as do I and apparently we might get some next week. Crazy!
2) My Halloween redecorating weekend turned into a whole week of me and Rok putting furniture out, putting new furniture together, figuring stuff out… and my kitchen still isn’t done. Hope this weekend is the one!
3) As a kid I got excited when Fridays came around because school usually ended sooner on Fridays, the evenings were reserved for awesome movies or for parties, when I was a teen, and I could always sleep in on Saturdays. As an adult, Fridays excite me because that’s when I have my physio and my physiotherapist does wonders to my back. Back pain is a bi***.
4) Completely random, but Eleven made her video debut. Well, Millie Bobby Brown is her real name, but I’m pretty sure all Stranger Things fans call her Eleven.
5) With 2017 coming at us with light speed, I’ve been trying to find a new planner. I’ve been a Moleskine gal for the past 5 years, if not longer, but I need something new. Let me know if you have any recs, but I’m looking at Kikki K at the moment.
And now, let’s talk about this chocolate chip creamy pear oatmeal. I seriously cannot get over how good this is. Generally, chocolate and pears love each other, but I usually turn the combination into a dessert, not a breakfast.
But seriously, who says you can’t have chocolate for breakfast? And with chocolate chips a tablespoon isn’t a big portion at all, but makes such a difference.
The whole trick is in grating the fruit. I would usually make this oatmeal with grated apples, but pears are magnificent too. I love to add a sliced pear on top, but it’s the grated pear that makes this oatmeal what it is. You cook it together with the oats and you get a creamy porridge in the end, that’s naturally sweetened with pears that almost turn into pear sauce. Doesn’t that sound wonderful?
I use a combination of water and milk to make this oatmeal, but you can easily go either way – all milk or all water. With fruit and chocolate chips, you don’t need any other sweeteners but if you want to skip the chocolate chips, than you can definitely add some honey or a sweetener of your choice.
All in all, this chocolate chip creamy pear oatmeal is a filling breakfast, that’s both healthy and a little bit indulgent. I know this sounds like an oxymoron, but the bottom line is that this oatmeal truly is good and a perfect balance of both comfort and nourishment.
Chocolate chip creamy pear oatmeal
Indulgent but healthy, filling and easy to make!
- 100g (1 cup) old-fashioned (rolled) oats
- 240 ml (1 cup) water
- 240ml (1 cup) milk
- 2 large pears, one grated and one halved + sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 50g (1/4 cup) milk or semisweet chocolate chips, adjust to taste
- 1-2 pinches of ground cinnamon, adjust to taste
- Combine oats, water, milk, grated pear and salt in a medium saucepan. Cook on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until the oats are tender, the oatmeal is thicker and creamy. It has to be uniform, so you don’t see water separated from the oats, but instead everything is nicely combined.
- Spoon hot oatmeal into two bowls. Fold in chocolate chips. As the hot oatmeal covers the chips, they’ll begin to melt.
- Top each bowl with 1/2 sliced pear and a sprinkling of cinnamon. Serve.
I like my oatmeal on the thicker side, if you want a soup-like consistency add another cup of water/milk in the beginning. Also know that the oatmeal also thickens a bit as it cools.